Friday, May 27, 2011

W.I.P.: 1950's inspired graduation dress

Some months ago one of my friends asked me to make a graduation dress for her and currently I'm working on it. Right from the beginning we knew it would be either 1920's or 1950's inspired but we decided on 1950's because we thought the shape of the 1950's would look better on her body. As always, I had been researching a lot on the net and immediately I realized she would probably love one of the dresses on Kyoto Costume Institute's Digital archive.

We've already bought the fabrics and I've drafted the pattern, fitted the mock-up to her and cut the pieces out. At the moment I'm sewing the dress together. In the picture on the right you can see some examples of the materials I'm using. She wants to use the dress for less formal occasions and we decided it would be a good idea to wear it as summer dress. So instead of sewing all the poofy tulle into the dress as planned at first, I'm going to
make a separate petticoat.

And here's a quick sketch of the design. The skirt isn't going to be as full as the one in the original Kyoto dress.

Some changes may be possible, as usual... For example, we're considering adding some narrow lace to the hem. But now I've got to head back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment