Friday, July 25, 2014

A visit to a local museum

A week ago I finally went to see a small local museum that I've been meaning to visit for ages but never got around to go there. It's called Sailor's Home Museum and it's located in a building that was built in the 1730s. The rooms of the house are furnished in 1880s style to represent a sailor's home and tenant's quarters. Because I actually ought to be sewing for an event that's only two weeks from now, I'm simply going to share my photos from the museum without much further introduction.

We'll start with the tenant's quarters...




The wallpapers of the house were probably my favorite part from the museum. They were beautiful and I also loved that they weren't all perfect and spotless but they were partly crumpled on the walls and had imperfections in the matching of the papers.




Two of the rooms in the house also had painted walls instead of wallpapers.


The blue bed chamber was my favorite, of course! ;)



A close-up of the lovely wallpaper...


And here's the building from the outside...


The visit to the museum was nice although it was a very short one since I was there with someone who is almost not at all interest in history and who doesn't have much understanding nor appreciation for photography either. This is unfortunately not the first time I get reminded that you really should always go to a museum who is as much interested in seeing it as you... and who has the patience to wait for you to take as many photos as you like so you don't have to take them hastily...

The next post will be about sewing, I swear! ;)

3 comments:

  1. So beautiful! The blue room rocks and the outside of the house is so typically Scandinavian - awesome! Too bad Finland is the only Scandinavian country I haven't visited yet. I just love tiny local museums like this one, they are much more pleasant to me than the huge and marbled ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! And then you must come visit Finland one day! ;) Preferably in the summer because it's when all the small museums like this one are open since they close for the winter. And if you do, let me know, so maybe we can meet and arrange a small costume gathering or at least go to a historical site in costume for a photoshoot ;)

      Delete
    2. Ooh yes! That would be too awesome :) I definitely should do this one day. I've been on the top of Estonia one day, but never made it to Finland! Which part of Finland do you live in anyway?

      Delete