Wednesday, April 26, 2017

My second robe en chemise

This robe en chemise was a very quick and dirty project. The idea was to make something fast while trying out a pattern that I had been altering to fit. I was never entirely happy with my first robe en chemise that I had made for myself, so I wanted to make another. Design-wise it's really similar to the first gown, but there are some subtle, yet significant differences. Most notably, it's worn with a pair of 1780s stays, unlike my first robe en chemise that was made to go over my white 1760s stays, as mentioned in the original post about it. 


I've had the chance to wear this gown to an event twice already. The first time was to an informal 18th century gathering in February and I actually felt a bit overdressed for the simple occasion.



I wore the gown with my old bum pad that is smaller than the one I usually wear (for 1780s gowns). This bum pad doesn't extend to the sides so it's more appropriate for the early 1790s look that I was going for.


I'm not entirely happy about the amount of fabric in the back of the skirt because there's not much - with the bum pad it looks kind of sad. I had a very limited amount fabric so I ended up using every bit I had without having to piece the bodice or the sleeves. With so much gathering in the front, not as much material was left for the back.

 


Mia did my hair, as usual.

Photo: Jarno Manninen

Photo: Jarno Manninen



And then I also wore the gown to L'Amusette's annual spring ball last Saturday. The theme was French Revolution so the gown was accessorized accordingly.


There was no bum pad.



This time my hairdo was inspired by the simpler styles appearing in the 1790s as fashion transitions towards neoclassical style.


Under the gathered front, the gown has fitted front panels that are tied with five pairs of tapes at center front. This closure method is based on an extant dress in Musee de la Toile de Joyu. If you take a look at the photo in the link, you can see that the panels are unevenly stretched where the ties have pulled the fabric. To avoid this, I added bones to the edges of the panels.


Twill tapes were sewn to the underside of the center front panels to create casings for drawstrings.


The drawstrings are tied and hidden under the center front. 


The back is very simple. 


None of the photos of the finished gown so it very well so here's an in-progress photo before attaching the skirt and sleeves:



Oh, and there's a bonus - a little video clip that Mia took on her phone at the Spring ball! :) 


My Pinterest research boards related to this project:

22 comments:

  1. It's a lovely dress! I really like the pairing with bright red and blue accessories, it does bring it to life. And thanks for showing the closure, I wouldn't have thought it'd close center front from just the pictures, the gathering hides it really well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really, really lovely, and your hair looks fab too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful! ♥ Aaaahhhh that hidden closure! I wish I had paid attention to you guys when dressing up! I was so concentrated on getting myself dressed. And perhaps it would have been rude on the first meeting... but next time I will study your and Mia's gowns. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much again! :) And noo, I don't think it would have been rude - it's just what costumers do! ;)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful gown, very elegant. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful gown! And you always look like you'd stepping out of a portrait of that time. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much, that's a huge compliment! *blush* :)

      Delete
  6. Beautifully done! I truly can't decide what decoration makes it look more charming.

    Sabine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Sabine! Being able to accessorize this dress in many different ways is definitely fun, too - it's a great advantage of simple white gowns!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you, that means a lot coming from you! :)

      Delete
  8. This is gorgeous! You are stunning in it! Someday I hope to create one of these gowns, though I haven't had a reason to, yet. I appreciate that you've shared some insights into how you made this one.

    Best,
    Quinn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! I really love both ways you accessorized it and the fit and construction are just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is amazing! Thanks for sharing your insights into the construction of this gown. Love!!!
    If you ever decide to sell either one, I wanna be first in line :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anyone ever said you resemble Marie Antoinette? ☺

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello! I could have sworn I've been to this site before but after reading through some of the post I realized it's new to me. Anyways, I'm definitely glad I found it and I'll be book-marking and checking back often!disfraz halloween infantil

    ReplyDelete