Monday, May 12, 2014

Transitional stays c. 1794-1800, chemise and under-petticoat

Here come the photos of the first garments that I've actually finished this year. It's such a relief to get something done completely because my projects haven't exactly gone smoothly in the past four months, which has resulted in leaving me with more UFOs than, well, ever before. That's also why I didn't post anything for a while, but I guess that happens to most of us sometimes, right? :)

Let's start with having a look at the front of the stays. I'm actually really happy I put more bones into the front panels of the stays than in the original pattern because I'm almost certain that there would be more creasing if I hadn't done so. Plus, the extra bones support the bust from below without making the stays any less comfortable. Should I ever make another pair of stays with this pattern, I might place the cups slightly closer to the center front because it's just not possible for my breasts to be quite this far apart - even if the aim is to get that separation effect. The issue doesn't really show much on the photos and I'm quite sure you can't tell once I'm wearing a gown on top of the stays so right now I'm just going to stick with this pair. Also, adding more width to the lower part of the cups might help with the creasing that you can see at the front.


Now we can also compare the results with a period engraving which is actually around ten years later than my transitional stays - but the shape that the stays provide looks basically the same, doesn't it?

The Ladies' Dress Maker, from "Book of English Trades", 1811.

The shape of the cups is controlled on top with drawstrings that run under the twill tape binding. 


Maybe you already noticed that there are actually modern underwires under the cups to support the breasts. Since it looks like there are bones under the cups of the trasitional stays on the MET, I thought I might get away with using them. :)


Unfortunately the photos of the back of the stays were unsuccessful so I'll have to try to get photos of it some other time and add them to the blog later. :/ 

I also made a under-petticoat. At first I wanted to make a bodiced petticoat but then, I really liked the petticoat Merja made for her riding habit, and eventually decided to leave the bodice out so that I wouldn't have to worry about the length of it. I actually didn't sew the shoulder straps into the waist tape of the petticoat at front either - they are only pinned so I can adjust the back depending on how high or low it should be. 

The front of the petticoat is almost triangular so that the petticoat gets wider towards the hem and there's no gathering at waist, which helps to create a smooth figure without making you look like you're larger than you actually are. 


The back is gathered to the waist tape only in the middle, but not on sides. 


And finally, here's the side view.


The petticoat is a bit too long so I will probably have to make it shorter by making a tuck at the hem but after that I'm ready to move on! :)

20 comments:

  1. I love your new stays! It looks beautiful - I didn't know that stays of the end of XVIII century could be pretty. And now I know it, you look perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I don't know about pretty but they do look a bit more simple than the earlier stays. But it just might be the color which does that :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome! The shape the stays give seems really accurate. You probably have written that before but I don't recall, so anyway - what will the dress be like? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I actually expected these stays to give more push-up effect but they don't do that. Not that it matters to me, though. ;) And yes, well, I just mentioned it in the last post - the first dress will be an early 1810s gown made out of this fabric: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-CSMLG-N5yiE/U2cx72n6eFI/AAAAAAAAFD8/rVuLiEIS5w4/s1600/fabric+008.JPG I'm going to make another post about it sooner or later :)

      Delete
    2. Awesome! I saw fabric like this in the fabric store last month and thought it's just perfect for early Regency projects, unfortunately there are no upcoming Regency events in my area, so I have no excuse to buy it ;)

      Delete
  3. Success! Your undies look lovely, and adding a tuck to a petticoat is a perfect thing to do.

    Best,
    Quinn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I glad to hear you think so!

      Delete
  4. What pattern did you use? I used the 1790's "jumps" (stays really) pattern from the jill salen book. Didn't get the uplift I expected either....wondering if the 1790-s trasitional look wasn't meant to have as much of a push up effect?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the linen stays pattern from the same book, with alterations (I replaced the gussets with the cups). :) I've been thinking about the exact same thing as you! Maybe there were just many styles of stays during the transitional period - other styles with more push up effect than the others?

      Delete
  5. Toinen oululainen täällä, hei! En voi kuin ihastella blogiasi! Ja ompelutaitojasi. Istuvuus vatteissasi on erinomainen! Tiedän, että oikea istuvuus on haasteellisin juttu ompelemisessa, koska harrastan ompelemista itsekin. Olen ollut kiinnostunut historiallisesta pukeutumisesta niin kauan kuin muistan, mutta en ole vielä koskaan päässyt siihen vaiheeseen, että perehtyisin asiaan kunnolla ja ompelisin itselleni asun. Ehkä tänä vuonna viimeinkin? Blogissasi on huimasti inspiraatiota! Olisi mahtava nähdä miten työskentelet. En tiennyt, että Suomessakin on niin elävä yhteisö tällä saralla. Ihmettelen vain, mistä löydätte kankaat. Valikoima kun tuppaa nykyään olemaan polyesteri- ja polyesterisekoitepainotteista.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hei! Jätin vastauksen blogiisi! :)

      Delete
    2. Kiitos vastineestasi kommenttiini! Vastaanpas minäkin sinun blogiisi, jotta tulee perille :). Kiinostaa kyllä ihan hirveästi! Puolet unistakin on viimeaikoina käsitellyt historiallisia pukuja ja kampauksia. Itseasiassa itsekin aikanaan harkitsin vaateompelijan ammattia. Se oli toinen vaihtoehtoni. Valitettavasti pääsykokeet olivat samaan aikaan, joten minulle ei koskaan selvinnyt olisinko päässyt sisään vai en :(. Nyt olen miettinyt uravaihtoehtoa uudestaan.

      Olen kyllä melko untuvikko historiallisen pukeutumisen saralla. Yritin aikanaan tutkia asiaa, mutta silloin internet ei vielä ollut pullollaan tietoa, ja kirjojakin löysin huonosti. Kaikki vinkit ja neuvot otetaan ilolla vastaan! Konkreettinen ompeluseurakin olisi mainio juttu! Pitäisikö järjestää inspiraatiotapaaminen? Tilasin netistä muutamia kirjoja, joita jotkin bloggaajat suosittelivat.

      Ei kyllä yllätä, että suurin osa kankaista kannattaa tilata netistä. Valikoima on Suomessa sekä huono että kallis.

      Delete
    3. Bloggerissa on se huono puoli, että vastauksia ei saa mihinkään inboxiin, jos jättää kommentin toisen blogiin. Voihan sitä ottaa sen vaihtoehdon, että saa sen vastauksen sähköpostiin mutta jotenkin se ois vaan paljon helpompaa, jos tulis suoraa jonnekin samaan paikkaan kaikki :)

      Muuten, mikä aikakausi sua kiinnostaa eniten? Tai miltä aikakaudelta haaveilet eniten tekeväsi puvun?

      Ihan ehdottomasti voidaan tavata! Olen ajoittain vähän laiska kommentoimaan täällä netin puolella ja kun sanottaavaa olisi niin paljon niin olis kiva nähdä ihan kasvokkainkin.

      Delete
    4. Periaatteessa ei saakaan, mutta minulla blogger ilmoittaa sähköpostiin, kun joku on kommentoinut. Se on ihan kätsy. Muuten en kyllä ikinä huomaisi kommentteja. Tämä ei tietenkään ole mikään ratkaisu, josei lue sähköpostia :D. Nykyään älypuhelinten aikakautena minulla on sähköpostit myös puhelimessa, joten en enää missaa paljon mitään, heh.

      1700-1800 -luvut ovat meikäläisen kuppi teetä, erityisesti 1700-1780 ja 1800-luvun loppupuoli. Toki olen kiinnostunut muistakin, mutta nuo on lähellä sydäntä. Ensisijaisesti haluaisin tehdä 1700-luvun puvun, varmaankin 1770 tms. Mutta lopullista tyyliä on ihan hirveän vaikeaa valita! Aloitin viime viikolla kureliivin/korsetin tekemisen, mutta saa nähdä tuleeko siitä yhtään mitään. Epäilen nimittäin kaavaani aika tavalla, vaikka siihen oli melko yksityiskohtainen ohje. Lisäksi myös 1900-luvun muoti kiinnostaa 70-luvulle saakka. Ja muoti ylipäätään, heh.

      Se olisi mukavaa! Onhan se ihan eri juttu jutustella livenä. Mikähän kanava olisi kaikista helpoin...Oletko facebookissa? Mikä klisee...

      Delete
    5. Hienoa! Sittenhän meillä on paljon yhteisiä lemppareita. Mun ainainen ykkössuosikki muodissa on aikaväli 1760-1795 mutta muita en saa laitettua mihinkään järjestykseen, koska se vähän vaihtelee, mistä tykkään. :) Tällä hetkellä olen aivan ihastunut hölmöön 1830-lukuun (joka oli ennen mun inhokki!) ja rakastan myös 1800-luvun loppupuolta ja erityisesti iltapukuja aikaväliltä 1890-1910. Oonkin tehnyt jo 1880/90-luvun korsetin mutta en ole vielä sen pidemmälle ehtinyt. Kuten blogistakin näkyy, olen kuitenkin ommellut pukuja enimmäkseen 1770- ja 1780-luvuilta, joten on hauska kuulla, että myös sulla on tähtäimessä tehdä 1770-luvun puku! :)

      En mielellään kirjoita mun koko nimeä tänne blogiin, koska en ainakaan toistaiseksi halua, että tänne voi kuka vaan löytää mun nimen googlettamalla :) Joten, annatko vaikka sun sähköpostiosoitteen niin voin laittaa sulle sinne viestiä? Ja ihan sama onko facebook klisee, sillä on joka tapauksessa aika helppoa ja nopeaa pitää yhteyttä! ;)

      Delete
    6. Kylläpäs nyt on vaikeauksia saada sinulle vastaus tänne :D.
      Päättelinkin, että 1700-luku on lähellä sydäntäsi, koska se tosiaan on esillä blogissasi. Hehee, tuo 1830 on vielä toistaiseksi omaan silmään aika järkyttävä, mutta ehkä siitäkin vielä innostuu. Kaikilla aikakausilla on tehty kauniita yksityiskohtia pukuihin ja käytetty mielenkiintoista käsityötä. Odotan mielenkiinnolla seuraavaa projektiasi! :)

      Sähköpostiosoitteeni on kirosakeet@hotmail.com

      Delete
  6. I was so happy to find your blog about these! I have a pattern from Kannik's Korner that is very similar to your stays. It really helps to see a similar one made up. And yes, it is very pretty!
    By the way, what did you use as a guide/pattern for the under-petticote?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sanna- I'm quite happy to have found your blog and the description of your transition stays. I have a client with some figure problems- a long stays with busk would be the solution, but she refuses this. so I'll propose this stays to her, I think this could work very well. One question: the satys will be closed in the back by lacing- right? So the front lacing is only fancy? Or are you wearing a different pattern on the back-photos of your petticoat? looking forward to hear from you! cheers from Switzerland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martina! Yes, these stays have both back and front lacing, as can be seen here: http://rococoatelier.blogspot.fi/2014/04/when-18th-century-sewing-gets-too.html I always close them in the front because I can put the stays on by myself more easily that way. The pattern I used for these stays actually had lacing only in the front and I didn't intend to have lacing in the back either, but the back was too narrow for me to I had to add the lacing to be able to wear them. I hope this helps! :)

      Delete
  8. I just stumbled onto your work via Pinterest. I cannot tell you how cool it is too see successful cups with underwires in historic stays! I've been turning this idea over in my head for over a year & really want to give it a try. I'm going to pun your post on the making too so I can refer to it.

    ReplyDelete