Tuesday, May 8, 2012

1780's stays - finally finished (Updated!)

So I finally finished my new 1780's stays. At first I stated sewing these like crazy but I don't know why I got so lazy by the time I had added the first two panels of the lining so that it took me a couple of months to add the rest. 



And some new photos of the stays when worn.





Now the back lacing closes completely again but it's really comfortable with about 2-3 cm gap between the back edges.


Each tab was lined separately and the rest of the panels were added after that.


I'm quite happy with the binding. It has got visible stitches on the right side even if you can't tell from the photo below. Though I think a narrower part of the binding tape should be seen on the right side. The tape  is also double fold bias tape because I couldn't find twill tape earlier. Later on, after I had already added the binding to these stays I found some twill tape that will be used for the next stays. 


Now I kind of feel like making yet another pair of stays. The shape isn't as curved as I wished it was and I want to use that twill tape I've got now. Also, I'm thinking about covering those metal eyelets with thread so that it would look more accurate or even try to find some metal rings of which I was talking about in an earlier post. And front lacing would also probably be more practical... I haven't been able to sew much lately and won't be at least for a month anyway because I'm just about to graduate in the beginning of June and I'm really busy finishing some stuff for school at the moment. So don't expect to hear much from me until then.

12 comments:

  1. Very beautiful piece of work!You are a very talented seamstress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, making stays is an addiction and seem to be incurable. Ask me... :D

    Beautiful stays! I particulary like the front! And they fit very nicely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, stays are very addictive to me as well! Every time I see a new pattern or picture of any pretty looking stays I feel like sewing them! :D At the moment I'm on a hunt for the perfect 1770's/1780's shape... And hey, thank you :)

      Delete
  3. they look lovely. although I have to say I admire your perseverance as I tend to regard staymaking as the tedious bit to get over and done with before I can do the intersting outer layers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) And I see what you mean. Sometimes it feels tedious to me, too, but now I'm just trying to make a pair that I'd be really happy with so that I wouldn't have to regret not making a new better pair. However, in the past year or two, I've become more and more increasingly interested in corset-making, especially the stays, and it's starting to feel like an addiction, almost :D SO it's not so bad anymore.

      Delete
  4. You're definitely making me regret never taking the corsetry class offered at my University...! Did you learn on your own or did you take classes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely recommend on taking a corsetry class because I learnt on my own and so many things would have been easier if I had had someone to teach and help me! However, there are no historical corsetry classes around here so I still would have had to learn most of the stuff on my own but knowing even something about patterning and making modern corsets would have saved me from a few mistakes.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful! The fit looks flawless. And I'm with Isis, the front is especially gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I'm happy to hear you, too, like them! I'm relly happy with the fit, it's just the shape I'm not so fond of - like I told you earlier.. Hopefully the new ones turn out to be more satisfying!

      Delete
  6. Lovely stays! I like the color blue especially. I just started on a pair of these myself. Yours are inspiring me to keep stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I'm happy to hear my work inspires you! Good luck with your stays and keep stitching! You'll be so pleased in the end when you're finished witht he stays :) I don't know if it's good or bad that after I'm done with sewing one pair of stays I tend to forget how much work these take.. :D

      Delete